official mailing address is
PRINCETON HEIGHTS NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
4919 FINKMAN STREET, ST. LOUIS, MO. 63109-3536
our meeting place is at
Redeemer Evangelical Church of Christ
6450 S. Kingshighway
St. Louis, Mo. 63116
at the corner of South Kingshighway and Schollmeyer
just one block north of Gravois and S. Kingshighway
next meeting is
May 7, 2014
at the Redeemer Evangelical Church of Christ in the fellowship hall,
6450 South Kingshighway,
just north of the Gardenville School,
which is at South Kingshighway and Gravois.
The meetings are the first Thursday of each month at 7pm,
except for January, February, July and August.
Our guest speakers will be the local aldermen, the local area police public representative and the City of St. Louis Neighborhood Stabilization Officer.
Become involved and learn about your neighborhood and keep up to date on the happenings of
Princeton Heights Neighborhood.
Come and meet your neighbor.
Come and join
Princeton Heights Neighborhood Association's
Become a member
Application for Household Membership.
Application for Business Membership.
St. Louis City,
and it's because we chose to live here in our part of the finest city in the United States.
Our Neighborhood's Name, People and Streets Names
Princeton Heights is an older South St. Louis residential neighborhood located roughly near
the major intersection of Kingshighway and Gravois.
The boundaries of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood in the City Saint Louis Missouri. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1963. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1930. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1918. .
Maps of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1916. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1914. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1911. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1909. .
Map of the Princeton Heights Neighborhood area in the City Saint Louis Missouri in 1868. .
Princeton Heights has many features of a homey small town, but it happens to be in a big city,
the City of St Louis Missouri.
Who lives here?
All kinds of people, but mostly "working families" and "retired families" and some "professionals".
If you seek a neighborhood where people still sit out on porches,
hang laundry in the back yard and chat over back fences about the upcoming church picnic,
this is the place,
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood.
Many residents here, like me, wondered "Why the heck did they call it Princeton Heights?"
No princes or universities here, although the ground is high as we discovered during the 'Flood of 93'.
Well, the name "Princeton" came from the old deeds from the neighborhood named
Princeton Place Subdivision or Addition,
and Princeton Place Addition obtained its name from the Princeton Creamery
on Kingshighway Boulevard just north of Gravois.
Its outer edge on the west is rather closely paralleled by the River des Peres drainage works,
whose valley creates a general downward slope to the west over much of the area.
In earlier years Princeton Heights was drained by small creeks, one being Glaise Creek,
which flowed into the River des Peres near the present location of Loughborough Avenue,
south into the River des Peres ditch.
Elsewhere the topography is quite rolling in character,
with a high ridge crossing through the eastern portion of Kingshighway.
Maybe that's where the "Heights" comes from.
Now we have "Princeton", just add the "Heights" from the high ground
and we have created the name,
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood.
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood Organization began at the home of
Thomas and Carol Hinrichs in the early 1970 with Alderman James Komorke in attendance.
The first president was George Yehlen, second was Vera Erichson, third was Edward Gaertner,
fourth was Dorothy Temming and then Joseph Goedeker.
Around 1900, when this area was mostly farmland, it was Gardenville.
The community was known as Gardenville,
acquiring its name in the beginning from the beautiful bounteous garden truck farms in the south area of the
City of St. Louis Missouri
when Gardenville was the center of the universe and before the world became urbanized.
Produce farmers grew their goods here and then trucked them a few miles away to
Market near downtown St. Louis
or they hauled their tomatoes, carrots, and melons through the City's neighborhoods as produce hucksters.
But as St. Louis grew, housing took over all the old fruit and vegetable plots.
By 1920 most of the farms were gone.
We still have our backyard tomato mavens, of course, but we're pretty urban now.
Princeton Heights has come a long way from the old dirt roads of long ago.
One can still find remnants of old Gardenville in place names here in
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood.
The place names are Gardenville Street, Gardenville School,
and not far outside Princeton Heights' official boundaries there's the
Gardenville Masonic Lodge in Affton.
There was a time in the
Princeton Heights Neighborhood
Bonita was known as Wiesehahn, Eichelberger was known as Clark Road,
Gresham was known as Kaiser, Holly Hills was known as Kansas,
Nagel was known as Brunzwick, Sunshine was known as Upton.
There were street names such as
Mecklenburg, Bewen, Helvetia, Brunswick, Korn and Wisehann
that have now cease to exist.
In 1947, Wilmore Park was created from
the old Ellebeck's Farm.
To learn more about our street, avenue and boulevard names and their history.
Remember the annual Loyalty Day parade and celebration of American patriotism down Kingshighway
and over Gravois on, May 1st every year from 1958 to 1991 led by organizer Lou Melchior.
Photo of 4617 Dahlia at Gravois and Christy
The parade started at Kingshighwasy and Christy, down Christy to Gravois and Gravois to Kingshighway.
Gardenville School was the hub of the community of Gravois and South Kingshighway.
Photo of Gardenville Public School in the Seventies. .
Photo of Gardenville School taken from the air in the Ninties. .
Take a look at the intersection of Kingshighway and Gravois long ago. .
Gravois and Kingshighway
was a shopping district in the '40s and '50s with just about every type of shop found on
Kinghshighway Boulevard and Gravois Avenue
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood
before the malls became popular.
Across the street from the Gardenville School on the boulevard of Kingshighway was the
American Exchange National Bank, 6639 South Kinghshighway
The building was three stories high with doctor's and dentists' offices.
at 6631 South Kingshighway was Princeton Creamery, owned by Mr. Shimmer.
The dairy sold milk in glass jars.
Boy with his prized livestock.
Photo of dairymen and their horsecarts.
At 6625 South Kingshighway was Lee's Grill.
There also was a Lee's Grill at 7325 Gravois, apparently owned by the same entity.
Then around the corner going north on Gravois from Kingshighway was
Thomas Schuetz Tavern at 6658 Gravois
Photo of the interior of Scheutz Tavern.
Photo of the exterior of Scheutz Tavern.
At 6642 Gravois was Arthur Hazzwell's Bicycle Shop
that became South Side Cycle Company and later moved down the avenue.
The Kingsland Theater was at 6457 Gravois at Alma from 1924 till 1996,
Photo of Kingsland Theater 6457 Gravois.
which had its beginning as an open air bring your own chair outdoor theater.
Hendricks Ornamental Iron Works was at 6613 Gravois.
At 6447 Gravois was Alma Phillip 66 Service Station.
Jim Remley's Market was at 6441 Gravois and Alma.
A Dairy King next to the Remley's Market.
At 6432 Gravois was the Swatz Wald to change it's name during WWII,
to become later the Black Forest Garden Restaurant,
playing the om-pa-pa German music at night,
that could be heard all over the neighborhood.
Photo of the Concordia Turners 6432 Gravois.
At 6421 Gravois at Kings Drive was the Rite-Way Sandwich Shop
to later become Kings-Way Sandwich Shop.
Ziegenhein Brothers Funeral Home was at 6409 Gravois.
to later become Witt Funeral Mortuary.
In the old days behind the funeral home and to the west and east of Gravois was
St. Paul's Cemetery,
now East, West, and Center Drives off of Holly Hills at Gravois.
At 6221 Gravois was Seliga Shoes.
Photo of the Seliga Shoes at 6221 Gravois.
At Gravois and Milentz was the White House Filling Station.
Photo of the White House Filling Station at Gravois and Milentz.
At 6201 Gravois at Seigel was Henry Weldmueller Funeral Home.
At 6123 Gravois at Seigel was Bill's Auto Service owned by Bill Higsbee.
Photo of the Bill's Auto Service at Gravois and Seigel.
On what is now Christy on the southeast corner of Gravois was M. Mueller's Saloon.
Photo of the M. Mueller's Saloon at Christy and Gravois.
Then around the corner going south on Gravois from Kingshighway was
Joe Arnold's Hardware at 6809 Gravois.
where you good find all the bolts, screws and nuts you wanted to find.
At 6811 Gravois was Lloyd H Herring's Rexall Drug Store.
Photo of the 6809 and 6811 Gravois.
At 6814 Gravois was the Moellenhoff Realty Company.
Clara Hempelmann Realty Company was at 6819 Gravois with a hall.
Clara Hempelmann made history in the City of Saint Louis
as the first women elected to the
Saint Louis Board of Aldermen for the Twelfth Ward
in April 1943 as a Republican.
Then in the same block was Douler's Barber Shop,
a hangout for the men interested in the local sports.
At 6829 Gravois at Tyrolean was Paradise Sweet Shoppe,
with all the sweets you wanted.
Fennessey Diekmann's Bar was at 6830 Gravois,
where the kids were sent to get a bucket of beer for the family.
At 6833 was Ruby's Shade Shoppe.
F X Spen and Sons Mouments is at 6845 Gravois at Loughborough and
the building still is standing today,
Photo of F X Speh & Sons's Monuments at 6845 Gravois.
later to become Huebshen's Market.
Photo of Huebshen's Market at 6845 Gravois.
and later 6845 Gravois has been Frederick's Food,
a Bettendorf Markets and Alhmabra Grotto Hall.
At 6852 Gravois was Silverwood Restaurant.
Then there was Four Roses Tavern with a beer garden with music.
Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chip for a short time occupied 6852 Gravois.
There was a day in the early nineteen hundreds
that Loughborough ended at Gravois.
West of Gravois and South to Blow was the
Mollenhoff Farm bounded on the east by Gravois.
The original home site of Mollenhoff Farm faced Gravois.
Photo of the Mollenhoff Home Site.
Later at 6901 at Loughborough was Henry Queathem's Drugs.
Then at 6903 Gravois there was the most famous bakery in South St. Louis,
Klund's Bakery, famous for their bread and carry-out dinners for the holidays.
Then at 6907 Gravois was Harvey's Market,
later to become Elmer's Market and then John's Market.
Another drug store named Raymond Brouk's Drugs was at 6909 Gravois.
A clothing store at 6911 Gravois was named John Schoenhlz Dry Goods.
At 6912 Gravois was B and B Ice Cream,
later to become a Velvet Freeze Ice Cream.
Baker's Five and Ten was at 6917 Gravois.
At 6920 Gravois at Quincy was Frank Moskus in Exile Bar and Tavern.
At 6923-27 Gravois at Quincy was Kroger Grocery and Tea Company,
later at 6925 Gravois was Southside Cycle Bicycle Shop.
Richard Henry's Tavern was at 6931 Gravois at Quincy,
later to become Jimmie's Saloon.
Photo 6931 Garvois at Quincy.
At 6949 Gravois was Millie Niggermann's Delicatessen.
Photo of interior of 6949 Gravois of Millie Niggermann's Delicatessen.
Later Gravois Glass was at 6949 Gravois and then moved to Gravois and Tyrolean.
and then later it was the European Atmos Clock and Watch Shop.
At 6955 Gravois at Blow was Ottinger Realty Company.
Photo of 6955 Gravois at Blow of Ottinger Realty.
Peoples 905 Liquor Store was at 6969 Gravois at Blow,
later to become SouthSide Cycle Bicycle Shop.
Photo of SouthSide Cycle at 6969 Gravois at Blow.
On Gravois at Nagel was the Golden Horn Restaurant and Bar at 6983 Gravois.
At 7001-15 was Gravois Marble & Granite Works,
Photo of Gravois Marble & Granite Works at 7001-15 Gravois at Nagel.
and later became
Bastel Art Memorial Company at 7001-15 Gravois at Nagel.
Walter Eirich Florist was at 7021 Gravois,
with a greenhouse on the site.
A landmark John L. Ziegenhein Funeral Home was at 7027 Gravois and Robert.
Photo of the 7000 block of Gravois.
Then there was service gasoline station on the southwest corner of Gravois and Robert.
On Sunshine and Gravois at 7057 Gravois there was Edward Filer's Feed Store.
At 7135 Gravois is Gatewood Gardens Cemetery.
A Missouri State Historic Preservation Structure.
Gatewood Gardens Cemetery
At 7224 Gravois at Allemania there was an H Salt Fish and Chips,
and later became Mark's Restaurant.
The original McDonald's Hamburger was at 7231 Gravois,
with the large sign that over a million hamburgers were sold, now replaced by a new McDonald.
Photo of the the original McDonalds.
At 7240 Gravois was Rene Ottenad Bakery and later Quaker Maid Bakery.
The original Schnuck's Market, the home of the Pink Stamps,
at 7241 Gravois burnt to the ground in 1973,
to be replaced by another Schnuck's Store at 7450 Hampton at Gravois, the same location.
At 7242-44 Gravois was R. A. Guinner Plumbing and Heating Company.
Photo of the 7242-44 Gravois, R. A. Guinner Plumbing.
Vick's Aquariums operated at 7248 Gravois.
Photo of the 7200 block of Gravois.
Joe's Barber Shop later to become Jimmie's Barber Shop
and then later Bob's Barber Shop was located at 7254 Gravois.
At 7256 Gravois was a United Postal Savings and Loan Association.
Mirko Bolanovich's Market and Grocery was at 7264 Gravois.
John H Schroeder Public School, with its U.S. Flag occupied 7306 Gravois once upon at time.
At 7322-24 Gravois was Frank Cilufo's Restaurant and Tavern.
Photo of the 7322-24 Gravois, Cilufo's Restaurant and Tavern in the forties.
Photo of 7300 block of Gravois looking North in the forties.
Photo in the forties of Salvator Cilufo at Cilufo's Restaurant.
Photo of 7300 7200 blocks of Gravois in the forties with Salvator Cilufo.
Photo of 1940 DeSota automoblie used as Public Service Car owner by Frank Cilufo.
Photo of Cilufo's Restaurant and Tavern in fifties.
Photo of Clydesdale Horses at Cilufo's Restaurant July 17, 1952.
Photo of Anheuser Busch party scene August 9, 1954 with Frank Cilufo.
Photo Cilufo's Restaurant in the sixties.
Photo of the interior of Cilufo's Restaurant in the early sixties.
Photo of Clydesdale Horses at Cilufo's Restaurant April 23, 1957.
Cilufo's Restaurant later became the Germaina Inn Tavern
in the late fifties and early sixties and later burnt to the ground.
Then there was the famous revolving original Vess Bottle,
on Gravois near the bus loop at Hampton.
Photo of the Vess Bottle.
Gravois & Hampton Bus Loop was at 7460 Hampton at Gravois.
Photo of buses at the 7305 Gravois St Louis City Bus Loop.
Photo of the 7305 Gravois City Bus Loop year 2007.
Photo of the 7300 block of Gravois year 2007.
Then on the southeast corner of Gravois and Germania was
At 7326-28 Gravois was Samual Marinovich's Restaurant.
And then down the street at 4715 Germania was the Maeze Horse Riding Stables,
where Maeze Court is on Germania is just off Gravois.
Lee's Grill, owned by Leo Morse, was at 7325 Gravois.
Photo of Lee's Grill at 7325 Gravois at Hampton.
Photo of Lee's Grill at 7325 Gravois at Hampton.
Later 7325 Gravois became Red Bird Bowling Lanes
at 7339-47 Gravois at Hampton, owned by baseball's own Saint Louis's Stan the Man, Stan Musial.
Photo of Red Bird Bowling Lanes sign at Northwest corner of Gravois and Hampton.
While were on celebrities, see a
Photo of Joe Garagiola's mom's home Macklind and Gresham.
Then there was the Knife Sharpener
who roamed all the neighborhoods of South Saint Louis with the bell ringing.
Photo of Knife Sharpener.
Now on Gravois between the 7300 and 7400 block Missouri State Highway 30 is the
Bridge over the River Des Peres going west into Affton, Saint Louis County Missouri.
1914 Photo of the Bridge over River Des Peres.
1923 Photo of the Bridge over River Des Peres St Louis Missouri State Highway 30.
2007 Photo of the Bridge over River Des Peres St Louis Missouri State Highway 30.
2007 Photo of the Bridge over River Des Peres and 7300 block of Gravois.
Photo of message left by the WPA workers on River Des Peres .
Photo of Gravois from 7200 Gravois to 8200 Gravois Saint Louis Missouri.
Photo of Gravois from 8200 block of Garvois in Affton .
and all in the
The Princeton Heights Neighborhood
Now you know something about us and the history,
come and join
Priceton Heights Neighborhood Association
Read the Princeton Heights Bi-Laws.
WANT TO JOIN AND BE A MEMBER OF PRINCETON HEIGHTS, THEN WITH YOUR MOUSE,
other web pages
[ Mission | Business | Housing | Political | Spirtual | Schools ]